Role Purpose and Scope
The Society has been providing practical and emotional help to mariners for over 200 years; we have much to be proud of in our past, but our focus is very much on the present and the future. Our work over many years has been to build strong, trusted and fruitful relationships across the maritime sector to benefit seafarers and their families, around the world, ‘at home, at sea and in port’, following an ethos based on traditional Christian, non-discriminatory, values. As a leading maritime welfare charity, frequently pioneering in its approach, the Society has long recognised the importance of partnerships both with funding and delivery.
At Sailors’ Society, we’re here for seafarers when life gets tough; and the past years have been some of the toughest yet. The conflict in Ukraine, supply shortages and the pressure on shipping, worldwide financial pressures and the aftermath of a global pandemic have resulted in many challenges for seafarers. Loneliness, depression, money worries, stress, exhaustion, relationship breakdown – the list goes on.
Sailors’ Society has ambitious plans to grow voluntary income to increase the reach and impact of our work to support seafarers around the globe. We are looking for an experienced fundraiser to work across a number of fundraising areas. The successful candidate will join a small but growing development team, reporting to the Head of Development, with an exciting new fundraising strategy. We need the help of a talented fundraiser with experience across income streams, to support the transformational growth that we are aiming to deliver.
- New income. Identify opportunities to grow income through new researched prospects across income streams (including corporates, trusts & foundations, events and individuals).
- Prospecting. Identify opportunities for growth undertaking research particularly to identify corporations, international trusts and foundations and other income streams to help grow our pipeline.
- Ownership of a portfolio of partnership activities, including sponsorships, to help generate income across channels.
- Bespoke corporate events. Develop and deliver a portfolio of corporate propositions including dinners, events and other activities.
- Corporate partnerships. Build corporate relationships to be able to discuss mutually beneficial opportunities for engagement, funding and take up of our services, both inside and outside the maritime sector.
- Explore opportunities to collaborate with other charities and third party organisations to develop new ways of working.
- Leverage value from Sailors’ Society’s own events and activities to build relationships and develop new opportunities.
- Industry events. Explore and exploit opportunities for engagement across the raft of maritime industry events, including sponsors.
- Ambassadors/Stewardship. Explore opportunities to fully engage with supporters and develop a regular engagement strategy for our industry Ambassadors.
- Collaboration. Work with Development team colleagues to create and deliver funding opportunities, developing and supporting joined up approaches. Working with colleagues to optimise opportunities, developing an in-depth knowledge of the Society programmes, projects and events to prepare high quality and compelling proposals and reports.
- Records, reporting and administration. Maintain accurate records and reporting of all activities and correspondence, delivering regular reviews of income, financial and KPI reporting criteria and delivering reports for the Senior Leadership Team and Trustees.
This post requires an individual with proven experience of generating significant income across a number of fundraising specialisms, including corporates, trusts & foundations, event management, individual giving etc, or transferable skills in securing new business, sales or account management. It would best suit a driven individual who can adapt to the needs of the organisation and is both proactive and reactive to new opportunities.
The successful candidate should demonstrate:
- Proven experience in securing income through targeted approach to corporates, trusts & foundations and other income sources.
- Proven experience in partnership engagement and stewardship/account management.
- Excellent written skills to create accurate, powerful, compelling and persuasive copy in a range of formats.
- Ability to match the needs of prospective funders with the needs of the charity.
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to people at all levels in person, on the phone, by video link or in written format.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills, with the ability to plan and manage a demanding variety of tasks and manage conflicting priorities to meet deadlines.
- Excellent research abilities and prospecting skills and the ability to develop a pipeline of activity.
- Good understanding of ROI to ensure best investment of all resources to maximise funding opportunities.
- An entrepreneurial approach, able to identify and follow through new opportunities. Adaptable and flexible to a broad range of activities.
- Self-starter with the ability to work under own initiative; driven and motivated to pursue new opportunities.
- Solid experience in tracking income, using KPIs and reporting.
- Good IT skills including all key Microsoft Office suite applications and Teams, with added experience of Raiser’s Edge NXT or other CRM database systems.
- A good understanding of Corporate Social Responsibility/ESG, corporate community engagement and established fundraising techniques is also desirable.
- An empathy for the mission of Sailors’ Society and the willingness to learn and immerse yourself in the maritime and shipping world.