Position: Head of Philanthropy
Reports to: Director of Development
Responsible for: Philanthropy Manager (from TBC) and contractors
Location: Home and office based with regular UK and occasional global travel
The Head of Philanthropy develops and implements plans for resource development from key target audiences, including major donors and high net worth individuals and representatives from trusts and foundations (particularly family foundations). Development includes the generation of income, influence, connections, gifts in kind and profile raising, where this increases impact and sustainability of HFHGB.
The role provides the research and planning, with a summary strategy, to transform this area of fundraising for HFHGB. The role leverages the connections, networks, support, proposals/programmes and partnerships from across HFHGB and the HFHI network by working in collaboration, support and shared vision with others. As a member of the Development Team the role will support and enable the development of the whole organisation.
Externally, the role develops the profile of HFHGB, bringing in new relationships as well as managing existing requiring strong oversight of fundraising and delivery.
Strategic and operational planning and research
- Conduct research to inform the strategic and operational plans for fundraising from trusts, foundations, major donors and high net worth individuals.
- Collaborate internally and with the CEO and Board to explore further opportunities to extend contacts, networks and relationships.
- Plan and prioritise activity to initiate and cultivate relationships and asks to maximise return on investment.
Partnership working and development activities
- Cultivate, secure and steward funding and relationships for HFHGB from major donors, high net worth individuals, trusts and foundations.
- Develop organisational processes and ways of working to cultivate and steward relationships and funding from networks developed by the Board, CEO, staff and other supporters.
- Design and implement a programme of relationship development/stewardship and cultivation events and create other opportunities (i.e. attend events) to develop donor relations with HFHGB.
- Work with the CEO, Board, Directors and staff to develop an extended network and pipeline of prospects/relationships, enabling their fundraising roles through briefings, propositions and resources, reports and connections.
- Pre-position HFHGB with grant making trust/foundation representatives, and collaborating with the Impact team to design propositions and bids for funding.
Management and reporting
- Be a professional role model for HFHGB internally and externally, as a collaborator and co-creator with internal and external partners to identify and create impact for HFHGB.
- Lead and manage contractors (and a staff member from 2021) to develop capacity.
- Maintain the database of critical information, including prospects, meetings, proposals, grants/donations and relationships in pursuit of income targets.
- Ensure compliance with fundraising policy, industry best practice and GDPR.
- Develop oversight and reporting on the development and delivery of development activity, monitoring progress against key performance indicators.
Leadership, networking and representation
- To champion and role model kindness, empathy and trust with all internal and external relationships.
- To develop a culture of support within the organisation. To lift others up and to to give voice, agency and equity to all.
- Contribute to the Development Team, taking the lead on cross-organisational activities.
- Network at a senior level with Trustees, Advisory Board, major donors, corporate donors, high net worth individuals, trust and foundation representatives and senior volunteers. Collaborate to ensure introductions are successful and relationships maintained.
- Collaborate with the CEO to support/enable them to develop engagement with HFHGB. Represent HFHGB externally at a senior level, building the organisational profile.